Friday, November 8, 2013

Post # 12, Thoughts

I went to a photography seminar over a year ago.  Instructors at this seminar included photographers featured in the National Geographic, Pulitzer Prize winners...the list goes on.  I was very excited, but also nervous: who knew what these people would be like?  Would they snub their noses at me for lack of creativity, lack of credence? 

To my surprise, one photographer sat down next to me and my computer, looked over my shoulder, and said, "You need a card reader."  (I was uploading my photos through a USB cord attached to my camera).  Later he said, "You need to upload your photos in a program that will allow you to organize your photos."  This photographer was Jim Richardson, who was the one who inspired one of my photographs featured earlier in this blog.  I was so amazed at his willingness to help, to offer advice, and at his attitude in general.  Upbeat, approachable, modest.   During this seminar he spoke to the class, and recommended a photo shoot opportunity of the springtime burning of the Flint Hills at the Flying W Ranch in Chase County.  I took his advice and went to this event this past April (see photos below).

My point in sharing this story is that every photographer begins somewhere.  The first photos they take are usually not that great.  But they keep trying and learn from others who have more experience.  Nowadays, cameras are more accessible and so are the tools to learning photography; almost anyone with a camera can call themselves a photographer! What I learned from Jim Richardson was that even with so much competition these days in photography, it doesn't hurt to share your knowledge; in fact it may be an even more rewarding experience!  I appreciate this attitude and hope to pass that on.








No comments:

Post a Comment